Preparing the baby registry and attending my baby shower had to be one of the most enjoyable experience of my whole pregnancy. I loved being surrounded by the friends and family that loved me, enjoying a morning of celebration and support for myself and the new baby. Not to mention, getting showered with baby gear and gifts was pretty fun too.
Since I'm ever curious about what gear other mom's register for, I thought it might be fun to highlight a few (ok, 10) of my favorite things I registered for.
1. Swaddle Blankets. A few soft swaddle blankets are essential when caring for a newborn. Swaddle blankets are extremely versatile, and can be used for so many things other than wrapping up baby. I use mine to cover myself while breastfeeding in public, and as an impromptu play mat/ changing station when out and about. My favorite swaddlers are from the bamboo muslin collection, by aden + anais.
2. Mama Roo. This swinging infant chair made by 4moms has been a lifesaver for us because Paul absolutely loves spending time in it. The movements mimic how I would naturally sooth him, which I think is simply brilliant.
3. Cloth Diapers. Cloth diapering a small baby, in particular a breastfed baby, can oftentimes be tricky. I'm a loyal Rumparooz cloth diaper fan because they have a patent double gusset which is ideal for breastfed babies poo.
4. Boon Countertop Drying Rack. This is one mod drying rack that I don't mind taking up space on my countertop. It's simply adorable! I use this rack for everything from Paul's pacifiers to the occasional bottle.
5. Ergo Babycarrier. My husband and I both agree on this item as a must-have. It's not to feminine, and not too manly. This carrier is easy on, easy off. A few of my friends claim they can even breastfeed while using it, although I have yet to try. Paul loves to be carried around in the ergo, and I love being able to keep him close while still having my hands free.
6. Humidifier. I love using a humidifier in our nursery for two reasons: 1. it keeps the air moist and comfortable. 2. it doubles as a "noise machine" which has proven to be crucial both at bedtime and during the afternoon nap time. Since Paul shares a room with his two year old brother, I’ve gotten real good at sneaking in the room for midnight feedings without waking my 2 year old up. My favorite humidifier is the adorable animal creatures from Crane.
7. Wet Bag. Wet bags are awesome and I carry one around with me in my diaper bag at all times. They're perfect for stashing stinky clothes, burp clothes, and other miscellaneous dirty baby gear when we’re out and about. My favorite wet bags come from Sweet Bobbins:
8.Tripp Trapp Chair. The tripp trapp chair is ideal starting around 9 month months of age and will last all the way through adulthood.- It's simply a highchair that will grow with the child. We have one tripp trapp (that my 2 and 4 year old constantly fight over), but plan on buying another when Paul is ready for table food.
9. Bouncy Seat. I believe every baby needs a good lightweight chair that can easily travel from the living room, to the kitchen, and anywhere in the home. Paul's bouncy seat has seriously allowed me to take showers and prep for dinner, all with him sitting right next to me.
10. Breast pump. I breastfeed Paul 95% of the time, and he receives a bottle around once a week. And even thought I don’t use it daily, I still LOVE my breastpump and don’t know what I would do without it. For instance, I recently had a nasty bout of mastitis, and was so thankful to have a high quality breastpump that I could use during my illness. Additionally, I occasionally have to travel for work, and having a great breastpump makes leaving Paul for a night or two possible.
How about you? What have your favorite baby gear items been?